Understanding what an ally is and creating space for other voices.
An ally is someone who educates themselves about issues around inclusiveness, strives to find common ground with others and actively supports individuals from different groups. Allies are an important component of a successful diversity & inclusion (D&I) initiative and can help organizations ensure the effectiveness of their programs. They act when discrimination occurs, and they support, advocate for, and champion others who need and can benefit from such support. As a member of your organization, you have the ability to become an ally and help shape the actions and culture around you—thus fostering an environment that is respectful, diverse, inclusive, free of bias, and helps everyone have a secure sense of belonging.
How You Will Benefit:
- Differentiate between unconscious, complicit and implicit bias
- Integrate empathy to promote strong team player attributes and communication
- Use communication techniques to be seen as an ally
- Enhance your abilities to hold and participate in meetings that are inclusive
- Take ownership of helping to create and manage a culture of respect, civility and trust